Thursday, November 18, 2010

As you can see from this blog's suddenly expanding "Upcoming Appearances" section, I've gotten some invitations recently, and I've also had a few conversations with people who want to do a shared reading with me but don't yet have a place worked out. So if you have a venue--a church, or a school library, or a living room, or a street corner, or whatever--and are in need of a poet or two, just ask.

Lately I've been feeling as if my entire private life has been slotted into tiny gaps among driving boys to piano lessons, basketball practice, and tooth doctors, and washing boy clothes and cooking boy meals and sweeping boy dirt off the kitchen floor. Or maybe all this actually is my private life. Frequently it's hard to tell. In any case, should your venue require a poet, the event will be a nice change from peeling potatoes.

Here's a poem from Crimes that sums up how I'm feeling today. Chalk it up to the headache, or maybe being surrounded by people who eat all the baking chocolate and don't know how to clean hair out of a drain. Not that I don't adore them anyway. . . .

Aubade

Dawn Potter

And what about the small eye, Walter?--
the leaves of grass you overlooked, winter
lichen clutching fence posts, a draggled
dead squirrel in the snowbank, the red
letters of my name, serif by slant?
It was bliss you sighed, panted,

howled for: the View from Space--
big comet Walt chasing Madam Eos
across a streaky sky, old guilty dawn
tempting another kosmic shaman
to lurch word-drunk from the rafters . . .
oh, I grieve for every morning-after

groan rising from your sallow bed
as I fire your cookstove, bake your bread.


5 comments:

Maureen said...

So many wonderful details in your poem, Dawn; I especially like how you conclude it, so matter of fact.

Dawn Potter said...

I know the "dawn"/Eos/aubade references are melodramatic; but frankly, it's hard to be a writer named Dawn without suddenly discovering how often that metaphor turns up.

Jenne' R. Andrews said...

I lurched word-drunk to read you this morn and love how you show our literary tradition in this poem....celebrating tongue in cheek, I think-- you might actually like my bit on The Mocking Bird influence and the poem that fell into place for my mss-- xj http://parolavivace.blogspot.com/2010/11/to-love-mockingbird.html

Dawn Potter said...

No, I wouldn't say this is tongue-in-cheek. It's got comedy and it's got melodrama and it's got rhymed couplets, but it also did hurt to write this poem--because how much does being a great poet depend on having other people pick up the dull pieces for him? And what kind of particular vision does that housekeeper have that the great artist does not? And why doesn't she just leave him to his own devices and go do her own work? What if she really doesn't have any other work? That last fear is the kicker, I think.

Jenne' R. Andrews said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.