Saturday, August 14, 2010

Part of the reason that Frost's poem "Home Burial" is so painful is because the poet seems to uglify the line music deliberately. This is notable in a writer with an ear as finely tuned as Frost's--and for me, it adds yet another pressure of anxiety to a narrative that is already difficult to read. The poem is essentially a conversation between two characters, a husband and a wife, who are unable to speak to each other about the death of their child. In other words, it's a poem formed by surface speech that demonstrates the characters' lack of deep, connective speech.

Here's an example. The speaker in the first stanza is the husband; in the second, the wife.

"My words are nearly always an offense.
I don't know how to speak of anything
So as to please you. But I might be taught,
I should suppose. I can't say I see how.
A man must partly give up being a man
With womenfolk. We could have some arrangement
By which I'd bind myself to keep hands off
Anything special you're a-mind to name.
Though I don't like such things 'twixt those that love.
Two that don't love can't live together without them.
But two that do can't live together with them."
She moved the latch a little. "Don't--don't go.
Don't carry it to someone else this time.
Tell me about it if it's something human.
Let me into your grief. I'm not so much
Unlike other folks as your standing there
Apart would make me out. Give me my chance.
I do think, though, you overdo it a little.
What was it brought you up to think it the thing
To take your mother-loss of a first child
So inconsolably--in the face of love.
You'd think his memory might be satisfied--"

"There you go sneering now!"

So much talk. So much silence. It's such a troubling poem, and it must have been hell to write.

2 comments:

charlotte gordon said...

I'd forgotten how painful this is. It is interesting to see it again, now after years of marriage, after years of being the wife to a husband.

Dawn Potter said...

I think you're right, Charlotte. This isn't a poem that would necessarily make sense to a young reader, or a single one. I've thought the same thing about Donne's "A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning." So why was it assigned to me in my high school Brit. Lit. class? When I was 16, that poem made no impression on me whatsoever, except that I knew enough to circle "true" when the test item was "This poem contains a metaphysical conceit."