Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I've been undergoing that particular purgatory known as "applying for grants." Ugh. The worst part is having to ask other people for references. I'm always ashamed to have to beg for kind words. But c'est la philanthropic-foundation vie. I wish it weren't.

In brighter news, I did have a poem accepted yesterday, a sonnet that has been rejected many and many a time. And this morning two pileated woodpeckers were quarreling in my yard. They were extremely loud, in a Loony Tunes kind of way, and were, on the whole, not a bad comedy skit to wake up to.

So now I am off to fork the boys out of bed, and haul them to their doctors' appointments, and then we'll go pick some blueberries and, with luck, not be stung by wasps.

What would Wordsworth say? He would say:

We were a noisy crew; the sun in heaven
Beheld not vales more beautiful than ours.

I kid you not: I glanced down at The Prelude, and those were the first lines I read.

The Spooky Book Fates have me at their mercy.

5 comments:

Scott said...

Congratulations on the poem! Also, I enjoyed your description of your yard in the morning.

Maureen said...

Congratulations on your poem's acceptance.

Maureen said...

I thought you might enjoy this response to the HuffPo piece on writers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2010/aug/10/anis-shivani-overrated-writers

Dawn Potter said...

Thanks, Scott and Maureen. And thanks for the link, though I'm almost afraid to look. That article was the definition of vituperation. The sort of attack that leaves me heart racing, even when I agree (in part) with the opinions.

Dawn Potter said...

That would be "my" heart. I'm not trying to talk pirate.