Thursday, June 10, 2010

A quick post this morning, as I must toss breakfast down my throat and rush off to the Harmony School award ceremony, where my son will not be receiving the Nicest Kid of the Year Prize.

But I'll mention that I'm rereading A. S. Byatt's The Children's Book, and that one thing I'm liking very much is how she deals with the complexities of political and social idealism among liberal free-thinkers: how good intentions go entirely bad, or become good in unexpected ways, or were always foolish, or are bad with a shade of redemption. I like the complications, and I like the way in which she manages to be both sympathetic and clear-eyed.

And, yes, I did manage to write my two words yesterday, but I've never written an essay about nausea before; so I'm beginning to feel slightly Sartre-esque. Of course I'm making that up because I haven't read La Nausee and probably never will, though I do hope he will pardon the invisible accent aigu in his title because I'm in a hurry.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Do they still give out the "ketchup award" at the school?

Dawn Potter said...

No, unfortunately. But Mr. Myers still has some good ones--for instance, to the student who most resembles "The Human Tornado."