Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A stellar comment about poetry from one of Ruth's fifth graders:

Poetry is like a very well read 3 year old, it uses terrific words, but uses them so strangely and it always spouts the truth you don't want other people to hear in public. . . It'll act all cute and funny and make you smile for its cleverness, then keep you up all night yelling and screaming about something you don't understand at all.

Well, that about sums it up, I'd say.

In other news, I'm writing again. My goal is to compose an entire essay that doesn't mention a single work of literature. Hah! I'll never be able to do it.

5 comments:

Nicelle C. Davis said...

I agree; this is the best definition of poetry I have ever read.

Dean Young in his craft book says about the same, but it takes him 100 pages to do it.

Thanks of the post,
Nicelle

Maureen said...

Great definition!

Mr. Hill said...

Nicelle, what Dean Young book are you talking about? The Art of Recklessness? I thought that wasn't out yet.

Nicelle C. Davis said...

Dear Mr. Hill,

The Art of Recklessness is the book. It will be released this July. He read from it at Squaw the year I went and I've been obsessed with it ever since. A section was also published in Poets and Writers if you want an early taste of it. It truly is a brilliant book--the sort of thing that could change a poets life.

Sorry to have brought it up here...I truly thought the book had already been released, or I wouldn't have blabbed about it.

Thanks for your interest (and understanding),
N

Mr. Hill said...

Oh, I have no problem with you mentioning it . . it's just great to hear from someone who's read it. I've had it on my wish list for a year now, just waiting for it to finally come out. It's great to hear from you that it's worth the wait.