Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Winter's Tale, Act 4, Lines 594-the End

Finally Paul and I have finished Act 4. It seemed to go on forever. Oh, those rude mechanicals, and how I hate that Clown (though possibly that's because Paul insists on reading his lines in a horrible loud flat nasal voice that makes him sound like Jerry Lewis). Autolycus, on the other hand, I do rather like. His speeches are fun to read and, interestingly, are among the few in this play (maybe the only?) that are set as prose rather than poetry. His tricky snideness is very enjoyable, as in this snappy comeback:

Clown: We are but plain fellows, sir.
Aut.: A lie: you are rough and hairy. Let me have no lying. It becomes none but tradesmen.

Also, he dearly loves flaunting his classy Florizel disguise: "Whether it like me or no, I am a courtier. Seest not the air of the court in these enfoldings? Hath not my gait in it the measure of the court? Receives not thy nose court-odor from me?"

Nonetheless, it will be a relief to escape from this shepherding and get ourselves back to Leontes' house in act 5.


No comments: