Friday, April 16, 2010

The governor has two fat, good-tempered, middle-aged springer spaniels, who attended yesterday's Poets' Tea at the Blaine House in Augusta. Meanwhile, across the road at the State House, members of the Tea Party Movement were dressed up in colonial costumes and complaining about taxes. This seemed to make the governor and his wife depressed, but the dogs continued to enjoy themselves.

I would estimate that close to 100 people were in attendance at our tea party, none in colonial costume and many of them complete strangers to me--including the other two readers. I always think of the Maine literary scene as rather small, but apparently I've been misled. I had to read first because Betsy Sholl, our poet laureate, said the only woman on the program should not read last. I think the poem went over pretty well, but I was nervous because I forgot to wear my reading glasses and I kept thinking I would read the blurry lines in the wrong order.

After the reading I drank a cup of tea and talked to a man who said he could teach me "a lot about decrepitude." I told him that my reading-glasses worries were already teaching me at least a little about decrepitude, and so I departed from this affair feeling rather bemused about the peculiarities of small talk.

1 comment:

Jenne' R. Andrews said...

dawn,

I write this with trepidation myself now. I am terribly sorry about our difficulties. I felt taken to task when I started up the second poetry group, and that the topic I introduced was boring to you. Hence my hurt. The final straw was for you to say that you were afraid to comment on a post/poem. To me at the time, that implied that I am someone to fear. There is a deep wound under my reaction, and perhaps the essay I posted on the community blog today would illuminate things.

It's a shame that being alive is so much about perspective. Don't we all have moments in which we are unfair, don't we each wound others as well as find ourseslves on the receiving end of wounds. I have indeed had perhaps unfair things to say about some writers, but certainly not all and do we not all do that? I believe I saw an interview in which you referred to poets with books from university presses of little or no talent, or something like that.

I know that my letter to you was harsh and I did mistakenly say that you had commented on my blog. Like you, I am overwhelmed and dealing with the demands of a writing life, a family and also, grueling physical disability. I can only look out the window at a fallow garden where things have to bring themselves back to life.

I would hope that you would not permit anyone to make you feel that you have to leave a platform that furthers your career. I am no longer a member of the poetry group, having restarted the other one. I urge you to come back; we can give each other a wide berth, and there is room for us both.

Sincerely,

Jenne'