Friday, February 12, 2010

As I was driving home from Portland this morning, all I could find to listen to on the radio were songs like "Freebird" and the Cars' "You're Just What I Needed"--and why are these songs still on the radio? Will they be there forever, always available to remind us of slow dancing in limp Gunne Sax prom dresses and pale-blue tuxes?--until I accidentally tuned to public radio and ended up in the middle of the cadenza of Mendelssohn's violin concerto.

I avoid listening to violin pieces I used to play. But here I was, trapped in the car with the cadenza, and I knew every pitch, every rest, every ritardando. I felt like I was playing the piece, even though I haven't played it seriously since I was 21. There are some things you can't lose, no matter how hard you try. Muscle memory as emotional memory. It's a strange phenomenon.

1 comment:

charlotte gordon said...

I LOVE the Mendelsohhhhn. How do you spell him? I also love that you played the M.

You are so so funny about those songs. Why are the Cars still on the radio? And Freebird. Yuck.

There are two twelve year olds running around in my back yard. I think you can picture this.