Saturday, September 5, 2009

Harmony Free Fair, Day 2

Judging. Our new Exhibit Hall is overflowing with stuff. Who would have thought we could fill this giant building? And now a small cadre of "experts" will convene to hand out prizes for handsomest green bean, most translucent blackberry jelly, most bizarrely shaped potato, etc. This year's entries at least all look honest. Last year some cheating out-of-towner entered red grapes from the Hannaford and a baby sweater with a Gap label in it.

Sitting around in my lawn chair. I will spend most of the period between 1 and 5 saying hello to the hundreds of people I only ever talk to at the Harmony Fair. In between times I will remove the empty soda cans the visitors park among the exhibits.

Wandering around. Possibly I might get a chance to visit this afternoon's highly touted demolition derby. Derbies are enjoyable for about 5 minutes, until they start to smell bad. But I do feel like I'm witnessing an oversized sandbox duel between Matchbox and Hot Wheels.

No comments: