Thursday, February 19, 2009

I've finally finished a long and knotty editing project, with great relief. It seemed to go on forever. This past week, which I mostly spent correcting endless pages of voluminous misnumbered footnotes, felt like the Death-Knell of the Imagination. Probably reading Babbitt concurrently has not helped matters. Also, it's school vacation week, meaning that my house has been overrun with loud hungry boys, and now my older son is running a science-fair experiment that involves a homemade hovercraft and a vacuum cleaner. 

from Letter to Jane, a collection of Hayden Carruth's letters to Jane Kenyon, written during the year she was dying of leukemia.

I have been reading nothing but novels of crime and espionage, drug-store books, what we used to call "cheap-screw fiction." And I can't remember most of the time what was on the previous page as I'm reading. It doesn't matter any more. Reading is not for information but for the flow of language and the old associations in my head.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank the GODS for children. I know its bad form and all, but my life would be boring as hell without them. Its all part of the rub that makes it so rich.
And on cheap novels, I need them. They alternate between meatier stuff. I am currently reading Raise the Titanic by Clive Russel. Its better than some, but has very few women so its full of geekly details about machines and power brokers. Ken Follett is much better with great sex scenes and passionate arguments. Angela

Dawn Potter said...

I'm working on an essay that mentions my low-class taste for 19th-century women's pulp fiction--e.g. novels by Mrs. E.D.E.N. Southworth with titles like "A Beautiful Fiend." Trash is important!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of Mrs. Southworth, but do you know Mrs. Elizabeth Gaskell?
Angela

Dawn Potter said...

I am reading her at this very moment! I love Cranford and Wives and Daughters best.