Sunday, August 4, 2024

We went out last night with our friend Betsy to see the Arkestra--the jazz group founded by Sun Ra in the 1950s and that has continued to perform since his death in the 90s. The venue was the big First Parish Church downtown, and the place was packed, and very hot, but the show was terrific--a mix of loopy hypnotic Afrofuturism and demented Duke Ellington, performed by a giant band, all clad in sequined capes and King Tut hats, etc., and all of them stellar musicians. The audience, a real all-ages crowd, was swooning with heat and delight: it was a great show, and afterward I stepped into the coolish night air feeling giddy and excited by the comedy and beauty and history and cadence of it all.

Still, after three outings in a row, I'm ready for a quiet Sunday. It's drizzling outside again, so I have no idea what I'll be able to do in the garden and yard today. I suppose I should undergo the grocery store, though, and I'll probably try to finish reading my friend's poetry manuscript as I've got a new editing project to start tomorrow. Next weekend I'll be in Vermont--another flurry to prepare for. But for the moment I'll try to put that out of my mind.

No comments: