Thursday, July 13, 2023

I got a note from a friend yesterday expressing pleasure in the runaway experience of reading yesterday's blog post. First, thank you! But, second, you can do it too. At moments when I'm struggling to write or (especially) when I'm feeling dissatisfied, or separated from my center in some way, or distracted or angered by an external situation, I write the present tense: I focus on taking in, through various senses, exactly what is happening at that moment around me and inside me, and I write quickly, with very little editorial interruption or end punctuation, pressing one perception against the next without judging whether or not they go together. Frequently I end on a quickly posed question, but I avoid a settled conclusion, explanation, or moral. I leave things ragged.

It's notable that often I'm pleased with what I make, though the process is sloppy. I think that's because the practice deletes the scrim of craft that often works to blunt perceptions rather than illuminate them. I'm certainly not against form or craft, but I'm also very aware that they can be wielded as defensive measures rather than as revelatory tools. I see this in a lot of poems, mine as well as other people's. This little prompt subverts that tendency, and it also works well as a daily notebook habit. Every morning, write the present tense. After a week, after a month, after a year, what do you start noticing about yourself as a creator?

3 comments:

Carlene Gadapee said...

Thank you-- this is a great idea.

Grounding exercise, for sure, and generative. Setting aside the internal hall monitor!

Ang said...

Thanks to you Dawn I gave myself a prompt: Water

4:30 am Wellington, Maine

A lone coyote woke me at daybreak. Seemingly so close but probably in the old school bus turnaround grown over now with those first tree colonizers. No kids down here anymore.

Maybe though it was the garlic begging to be liberated from the sodden soil or the urge to pee that woke me. The composting toilet fell victim of a very high water table. It's back to a bucket with a mini toilet seat, the Luggable Loo. I brought it upstairs last night hoping to get back to sleep after that first pee. But I lay a moment and felt the bit of cool breeze. I had heard that there would be three hours of low humidity. Maybe I can do a load of laundry. Got up and went downstairs. Started coffee. The seven weeks of rain has also swamped the spring with ground water so my husband and I are back to hauling drinking water.

But all of this is nothing to compare with having your beautiful farm and greenhouses on a feeder stream for the Connecticut River washed away.

It does tie me deeply to the little bit of land that we settled on, though there are days when a flush toilet and a well to remove and deliver my water would be nice.
Hah!


Dawn Potter said...

Ang! So perfect! And so Wellington. Thank you--