Monday, May 8, 2023

 Both bedroom windows were open all night, and I woke at 5 a.m. feeling as if I'd been asleep in a treehouse. The room was filled with loud song--from the lilac pressed up against the house, from the maples in the backyard, from the sky overhead: birds of all stripes carrying on at full volume. I love it but their noise is not conducive to sleeping late.

Yesterday morning I watched a possum trundle across the backyard. On other mornings I've seen a raccoon and a skunk. The wildlife is up 'n at 'em . . . and yet, no sign of that groundhog. Could it be that I successfully discouraged her from denning up under my neighbor's shed? Or is she lying in wait until the plants get beautiful, and will soon mow them down like usual?

For now, my only trouble is squirrels, who keep biting the heads off the tulips and digging up pansies and engaging in other varieties of delinquent behavior. Even the insects haven't started in on their damage. The garden looks sweet and hopeful. I planted beans this weekend, plus lots of flower seeds--mignonette, nasturtiums, sunflowers, zinnias, nicotiana . . . mostly in a little jiffy pots under the cold frame, so they can get a jump in growth before I dig them into the soil.

Meanwhile, as I was teaching yesterday, T finished the shed . . . well, mostly finished: he still has a couple of small touch-ups to do. However, the big stuff is done: new door, the painting. The result is ridiculously cute. Here's a front view, along with posing cat.


This will be a nutty week, though today will start quietly--just another round of desk work, groceries, etc. But tomorrow I head north again, last Monson class on Wednesday, then back to Monson on Saturday for the kids' gallery opening, home on Sunday morning, teaching on Sunday afternoon. No weekend for me. And T will be in NYC for a chunk of the time, which adds a twist to the situation.

But, hey, I got two poems accepted yesterday, two recent ones, so even in the throes of busyness I'm managing to do the real work . . . or at least to convince somebody else I am. And this weather has been divine.

No comments: