Friday, July 1, 2022

 Day 6. We wrote and we thought and we listened and we read and we wrote. And then the day was over, and the laptop screens snapped shut, and I wandered outside into the afternoon, up the streets of the afternoon, I stepped into the quiet market, I picked up a box of eggs, I picked up a frozen pizza, I bought these things, I smiled at the man who sold me these things, and then I wandered back into the streets, down through blaze and shade, past young people and U-Haul vans, past old people and old dogs, past a stack of free books, where I chose Harold Pinter's The Proust Screenplay for myself, past fading roses and yellow lilies, past forgotten construction cones stacked like party hats, and I came around the corner into my own small corner, the shaggy grass, the calendula blooming bravely in the sun's heat, and I walked up my own stoop and unlocked the door and then there I stood, in my kitchen, blue and white and cool, in its north-facing quiet.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

It was a magical week, indeed. Someone described it as Brigadoon.

David (n of 49) said...

This so beautifully describes the feeling of being, post-conference.