Monday, October 4, 2021

 . . . and it's Monday again, and my desk is full of obligation again, 

Fortunately, I'm ready to go. I had a productive yet unstructured weekend: I processed lots of harvest vegetables (green tomato sauce, peppers, kale, even a batch of wild mushrooms) and did a lot of garden culling and transplanting, but I also listened to two very exciting and stressful baseball games. I baked bread and dusted rooms, but I also lay on the couch reading in front of the fire. So I feel as if I can step back into weekday desk life without too much regret for what might have been.

And thus today: editing, manuscript reading, class planning, followed by grocery shopping, punctuated by an exercise class and poem revision and some tomato-sauce simmering and the inevitable laundry. Always, the work work work. But mostly I thrive on it. And I earn hardly any money, so maybe the house versus word schedule doesn't count as craziness. Or maybe it does?

2 comments:

nancy said...

I have been thinking about your "two selves" comment, because I have felt that way for much of my life, as well. Also, about "housework": have you read any of Ruth Goodman's books? "The Domestic Revolution" discusses how the switch from wood to coal in Britain changed women's work (not for the better).

Dawn Potter said...

I'm fascinated to know that you have that two selves feeling too. Someday we'll have to have a conversation about how it manifests for you. Re the Goodman: no, I haven't read her books, but I'd like to. The wood-coal conundrum is huge on so many levels.