Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Another cool morning. It won't be long till I'm lighting fires in the wood stove, so it's a good thing that we (Tom mostly) finally got the new firewood stacked and tucked away for the winter. I accomplished less homestead-wise than I meant to yesterday, mostly because the phone would not stop ringing and then I fell down a "how do I make a newsletter about my upcoming workshops?" rabbit hole. I did in fact figure out how to make a newsletter, but I also had to make a mailing list to go along with it, so that was a lot of time and trouble . . . good trouble, because now the job is done, but it didn't get any bathrooms cleaned or wood stacked.

Anyway, the newsletter turned out to be a good idea. Already, several people have signed up for classes; clearly, taking the time to broadcast them was more important than vacuuming. (As you can tell, I am not a natural-born marketer.) I'll paste a copy of the newsletter to the bottom of this letter, in case you're interested in seeing it or maybe even registering for a session.

Today I'll need to buckle down and actually do housework and go grocery shopping and pick vegetables and such. Mid-afternoon, I'm making a guest appearance in my friend Bruce's poetry class, to talk about how I manage white space in my poems.

I'm trying hard to juggle everything before I leave for Vermont on Thursday. Probably I should worry a little less, let myself coast a bit. At least that's the advice I'd give you.

* * *

Dawn Potter

Upcoming poetry workshops

Fall 2021




Dear friends--

Frost Place Studio Session classes are open for business! This is a new venture at the Frost Place--an offering of online classes, year round--and I’m excited to have been named creative director of the project. 

Our first classes are already in progress. I’m currently finishing up a 3-session introductory chapbook seminar, which filled so quickly that we’re considering  running a second class in December. Here’s a link to the description of the current class. December dates would be Sunday afternoons on 12/5, 12/12, and 12/19, 1-4 p.m., via Zoom. Participation is limited to 6 people, so if you’re interested in attending, please email me ASAP, and I’ll add you to the reservation list.

In November, I’ll  be leading a weekend-long generative writing class, “Revisiting Homer’s Odyssey,” centering around passages from Emily Wilson’s new translation of the epic. This will be held on Zoom, 11/13 and 11/14. Applications are open, with a participant cap of 12,  and already the class is half full. This session is open to writers at any level, so please join us for an intense and collegial weekend of poetry and conversation.

Stay tuned for more Studio Session offerings in 2022! Upcoming classes will include generative writing weekends centering around the work of some of Poland’s greatest 20th-century poets as well as an immersion into the poetry of New York City. In the pipeline are revision workshops, a seminar on comedy in poems, a one-day class for people new to poetry, teacher roundtables, sessions with guest faculty, and so much more.

As I design these classes, I am always open to suggestions for topics and faculty. Please be in touch!

I’m so looking forward to spending time with you and your poems--

 

With affection,

Dawn

No comments: