Friday, July 16, 2021

It's quite foggy again this morning, but our cool, wet days are over for the moment, as temperatures are supposed to climb to 90 degrees by later today. So I guess I'll be mowing grass in the morning, before I sit down to desk work.

I did catch up on some weeding yesterday afternoon, which was good, as I now have one more thing to fret about: the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association has asked if I'd be willing to be a featured gardener in their summer tour series. Naturally I was taken aback by the request, because I'm neither a certified organic gardener nor a MOFGA member. But after some back and forth I agreed; and so on one weekday evening in mid-August, the Alcott House's cottage-garden-in-progress will be open for tours.

What they'd like me to focus on is how I'm mixing flowers with vegetables to create a decorative landscape and also to talk about my experiments with various cramped-space scenarios: succession planting (e.g., planting a series of short-season crops in the same bed over the course of a season: peas followed by kale, radishes followed by fennel, etc.), interplanting (e.g., planting short-season crops such as lettuce between long-growers such as tomatoes), and close-spacing techniques (e.g., planting broccoli six inches apart instead of twelve; staking plants that aren't usually staked, such as eggplant and peppers).

I am not a scientific gardener, so I worry about "real" ones pumping me about disease management, soil quality, and such. I'll have little of interest to say. I also worry that the groundhog is going to move back in and destroy everything before the tour.

But as Tom and Paul pointed out, I'm really the only local gardener they can think of who specifically works to treat vegetables and flowers as equivalent landscape elements. So maybe the place will be of interest to someone else with an eye for blossoms and a stomach for food.

No comments: