Tuesday, January 12, 2021

I got more done yesterday than I thought I would, so that's something. This morning, after I finish the article I'm editing, I've got to turn my focus to next Tuesday's Poetry Society of New Hampshire lecture (and when I get a link to that event, I'll share, in case you're interested). My plan now is to present pairs of poems (canonical and contemporary), talk about how the "I" works in them, and then offer a writing prompt for you to experiment with at your leisure. We'll see if I can manage it.

I'm overwhelmed, no question. My mind is zinging in a thousand different directions: two editing projects, the lecture, the Florida collaboration, the ongoing fallout from the Capitol putsch, and and and.


Out of every hundred people

those who always know better:
fifty-two.

Unsure of every step:
almost all the rest.

[from "A Word on Statistics" by Wislawa Szymborska. I daresay you'll want to read the rest of this one, but I won't break copyright laws and reprint it all here.]

No comments: