Wednesday, July 29, 2020

In the book beside me, Nabokov tells of his mother, veiled, wrapped in furs, seated in a sleigh on a snowy Saint Petersburg street, coachman hunched before her, footman perched behind. In the ash tree outside my window, a squirrel twitters and complains. In the local papers, headlines scream, "Killed by a great white shark!" My attention toggles and blinks, like bad wiring. Upstairs, Tom yanks open a sticky dresser drawer--thud; shoves a sticky closet door closed--thunk. The box fan whirs. This morning's air feels a touch cooler than yesterday's, my skin a trace less clammy. It is the last Wednesday of July.

Today will be another day of having no time or space to myself. But I will sit on this couch and copy out Blake poems, no matter what else is happening around me. Twenty-six years ago I had a brand-new baby. That was harder than this.

Here are two lines from a draft I worked on yesterday. I share them not because I love them but because they are. A small comfort: I wrote ten new words.

his half-life a cough a swallow
an unpainted stair 

2 comments:

nancy said...

the mystery of poetry:
You offered but two lines of poetry -- just nine words -- yet my brain leapt instantly to connect those two lines with my life. Nine words:
A week ago my husband had spinal surgery, and part of the aftermath is coughing, difficulty in swallowing, an ever-present reality that “Every third thought shall be my grave.” So many surgeries in the last five years, and a once vital, strong man now reduced to stumbling, unsure if his hands can grasp the glass of water sitting next to his chair. And why do the words "unpainted stairs" instantly conjure an image of the green stairs that my daughter crawled up one by one, slapping the treads and saying "uppity uppity" at each landing? She is 40 now, and slowly, gently watching me age and slowly, gently easing me out of the crevices that I find myself falling into.
Dawn, I don't know what the lines mean to you, but your words have power vibrating inside of them. I can't wait to read your entire poem, whenever it is ready.

Dawn Potter said...

Nancy, I'm amazed and humbled. One never knows, writing into the empty air, what might happen. Sending love.