Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Portland now has a shelter-in-place order, starting at 5 p.m. So Tom will be going to work today; after that, who knows? Construction is still listed as an essential service, but, clearly, renovating an empty vacation home is not one, though as today's definitions go it's also not particularly dangerous--not like bagging groceries. One friend's wife, a doctor, suits up every day in hazmat gear and runs coronavirus tests in a tent. Another friend works long hours in a group home, where social distancing is impossible. Tom's biggest danger is cutting off his hand with a table saw. Why should I worry?

That's one of the strangest elements of this crisis: the reconfiguration of risk. Today, logging is probably one of the "safest" jobs around. Out in the woods alone, just you and your chainsaw. Nothing to fear, except for dropping a tree on your head, or amputating a leg.

Yesterday I did manage, finally, to get some paying work accomplished. I finished up one editing project and shipped it to the press, then got a chunk done on another. I managed to start working my way through the stack of "read this, friend" items in my inbox . . . items I welcome, that I want to spend time with--poems, essays, family histories--but they all arrived at once, and I've been distracted by "survival," whatever that means. So many definitions are in flux.

Meanwhile, Paul has been watching online performances of Greek plays, trying to get through a week of "vacation" before his classes start again on Monday. Together we shoveled some snow and went for a walk and admired a toddler who was happily jumping up and down in slush. Alone in his Chicago apartment, James cooked a stew and went for an evening walk and cleaned both of his bikes thoroughly and mulled over new ways to attach his window blinds. Tom drove home from work and along the way stopped at five different grocery stores, none of which had even a single bag of flour. I did some mending. A mourning dove sang.

This afternoon I'll bake some bread, and tonight I'll make roasted butternut-squash soup (not sweet, but with garlic and sage), black-pepper croutons, and a big composed salad (canned tuna, hard-boiled eggs, capers, anchovy paste, greens, cherry tomatoes).

I'm thinking of you, in your own turmoil and tedium. Isolation is easy to achieve, nurturing solitude not so much. Yesterday, I shared the following poem with two friends who are struggling with deep fear and loss. Though I'm not a particularly religious person, I turn to George Herbert's poems--especially this one--as a stay and a solace in times of misery. It's a prayer, so maybe try saying it aloud. To me, Herbert's words in my mouth do feel like a gift from God. 




Prayer (I)

            George Herbert

Prayer the Churches banquet, Angels age,
            Gods breath in man returning to his birth,
            The soul in paraphrase, heart in pilgrimage,
The Christian plummet sounding heav’n and earth;

Engine against th’ Almightie, sinners towre,
            Reversed thunder, Christ-side-piercing spear,
            The six-daies world transposing in an houre,
A kinde of tune, which all things heare and fear;

Softnesse, and peace, and joy, and love, and blisse,
            Exalted Manna, gladnesse of the best,
            Heaven in ordinarie, Man well drest,
The milkie way, the bird of Paradise,

            Church-bels beyond the starres heard, the souls bloud,
            The land of spices; something understood.

6 comments:

Carlene Gadapee said...

"The soul in paraphrase"
O my.
Thank you, Dawn. Blessings of safety to you and yours.
Keep well.

Ruth said...

Thank you and blessings for safety and sanity.
I'm staying away from activity except my own.
Long daily walks either here in the wooded cathedral or
on the wind tunnel shore fill me.
Butternut squash soup sounds lovely.
I make mine with curry... onions and garlic a given.
I'd send you flour if I could.
By night I'm drained knowing I'll
sleep and probably wake to dreadful dreams.

David X. Novak said...

I would phone rather than stop into five stores.

Maureen said...

Someone I know on FB said she phoned four days ago for groceries. The store called her to say the shelves are bare but it is doing its best to get food to her.

The hoarding was not something I expected to arise during this crisis. I have to have people get food for me, because of my age, blood type, and fact I already have a medical issue (related to GI) that requires I be on a special diet. So far, I'm doing ok, though I admit I cried this morning on learning that a dear friend's grandmother had died. Two people I know are recovering; another, already hospitalized more than 17 days, is still in serious condition. I have friends around the country experiencing problems.

My sleep patterns are messed up; I who used to wake daily around 5 or 6 now don't wake until 9 or 10, unless I set the alarm. But I have my writing, lots of good reading, and all my beautiful artwork to view. And four magnolia trees are blooming just outside my sliding glass door.

Be well.

Dawn Potter said...

I wasn't too happy about the 5 stores either. Last time for that, I hope.

Carlene said...

The flour problem is attributed to no way to transport from the mills, I'm told. It's troubling. If anything, it highlights the weaknesses in our overall system. Maybe we can address these issues when the crisis is past.