Friday, November 1, 2019

Ugh: one of those mornings when Tom forgot to set his alarm and forgot to run the dishwasher; when I forgot where I'd stored the spare parts for the coffee pot that's not in the dishwasher; when the cat was horrified by rain and kept screaming in and out of the house beneath my slippery feet as I tried to drag trash to the curb in a windstorm. Suburban angst, c'est moi. I should move back to a place with real trouble. I'm getting soft.

Anyway, here we are at Friday again: first day of November: mild and humid, windy and watery: maple leaves stuck on windshields like Post-it notes: dogs trotting by in embarrassing raincoats: half a bowl of Halloween candy playing come-hither on the kitchen counter: wet pavement and old tea leaves perfuming the air.

It feels like a day for spirits, of the Dickensian sort, or the Wrinkle in Time sort--the blowsy kind who buffet the parlor ceiling and trail scarves and shawls, who can't stop jingling their keys and clanking their shoe buckles. Their hair is rat-tails and frowst; their noses are red; they tip over tables and clonk into doorframes. Some are apologetic; some never notice their mayhem. Unromantic ghosts, with baggy trousers and shapeless house dresses and holes in their pockets. They're all over the neighborhood this morning.

6 comments:

Carlene Gadapee said...

Very evocative...and you sent me to the dictionary. lol
Hope your day is delightful (and I have zero candy--I'm jealous~)

Dawn Potter said...

"Frowst," maybe? That's a favorite word of mine, but I rarely get the chance to use it.

David (n of 49) said...

Love all of this. With or without "frost." :)

David (n of 49) said...

That's of course "frowst." Autocorrect, thou bane.

Carlene Gadapee said...

Yes, frowst. I suspect that it's related to frowsy, too? Hey, there's a prompt: you must use one word that has fallen into disuse/obcurity in a poem, and not have it sound pretentious. Dickens would be a treasure chest of possibilities!

David (n of 49) said...

!!! :) Yeah, that guy sure do the police in different voices. ;)