Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Have I mentioned my groundhog war?

According to my neighbor, the groundhog has been living under her shed for several years. She's seen it often in the summer, browsing among her perennials but never doing much harm. And last year I saw it too--scuttling here and there among the weeds in my backyard, apparently content to munch on dandelions and plantain and ignore anything better around the corner.

All that changed when the fence fell down between the front yard and the back. One fine day, the groundhog bustled through the gap and discovered Lettuce! It had hit the groundhog jackpot.

This week, the sassy groundhog has eaten a head of parsley, half a Brussell sprout plant, a row of lettuce, and a sunflower. Every time I catch sight of it I rush out of the house, shaking my fist like Mr. McGregor in Peter Rabbit and shouting, You durn beast! Scram! But as I have mentioned, the groundhog is sassy, and so far it's been winning.

Yesterday I put up a temporary fence to replace the one that fell down. I spread red pepper flakes up and down the groundhog's customary pathways (the internet says groundhogs dislike spicy food). So far this morning, nothing new seems to have vanished from the vegetable patch. But I don't have long-term hope.

In better news: look at these beans I grew.


P.S. Argh. Looked out the window. Saw groundhog enjoying pleasant breakfast of cilantro. Saw my cat sitting next to him sociably, like a dinner host. "Hi, Sassy Groundhog! Have you tried the arugula yet?"

No comments: