Friday, September 28, 2018

On Wednesday evening I went up north for band practice, so I was in the car, driving back to Portland, when I turned on the radio yesterday morning and heard the opening statements in the Ford-Kavanaugh testimony. In general, I don't tend to listen to such things; I'm working or writing or otherwise in need of silence. But I was in the car, so I left it on, and I heard Dr. Ford's statement from beginning to end.

I was stunned. I don't know that I've ever heard someone quite so convincing. She was clearly "terrified" (her word), but she spoke with earnest dignity and she described a situation that felt absolutely true, absolutely familiar. She was a fifteen-year-old girl, bewildered and frightened, in a strange place, with frightening boys, victimized by their scorn and their ridicule and their lust. Her words were lived history.

And yet. And yet.

She was outshouted by a pompous, self-righteous, hysterical, alcoholic, entitled ass, who seems to believe that being accused of sexual assault is worse than being sexually assaulted. And this man was congratulated, egged on, celebrated by a pack of aging, ravening political wolves. The scene was barbaric.

I'm not going to belabor this with you. I know and trust that you feel what I felt. But it is so painful, so extremely painful.

1 comment:

David X. Novak said...

I have not heard any of the testimony but from what I can gather your account is about right.