Tuesday, September 4, 2018

I'm home again.

When I walked into the kitchen, Tom was getting ready to make sauce from my giant tomato crop. He'd also been working on finishing a section of the kitchen cabinets, and had sided the back of the house. So it seems to have been a labor day weekend for both of us.

But my parents' potatoes are dug, and the boy is ensconced alone in a giant dorm room, a delightful surprise since he expected to have a roommate. The poor child hasn't had a space to call his own since we left Harmony. He's been sleeping in college doubles, or our den, or in tents, so the unexpected privacy is an excellent start to the school year.

Today I've got some desk work to catch up with, but mostly I'll be pickling and canning the piles of cucumbers Tom's been collecting in the refrigerator. Teaching is around the corner, new editing projects are on the horizon, but for the moment I remain in harvest land.

I'm still engrossed in that history of the Wars of the Roses, and I'm all excited to revisit Shakespeare's Richard III, now that I've been immersed in its background story. I wonder if we should have another blog reading group. What do you think about a Henry play? Or Richard?

4 comments:

Carlene M Gadapee said...

Sure!! I love HV, and I don't know that I know Richard III well. Either one would be great.

C

Ruth said...

Sure! Let's do Richard III. I don't know that one at all.

David (n of 49) said...

Richard 3 gets my vote too. Although as Carlene says, Henry V would be an equally great choice. (That campfire conversation the night before Agincourt: "I prithee, what thinks he of our estate?" "Even as men wrecked upon a sand, about to be washed off the next tide...")

Carlene M Gadapee said...

...yes!! The whole campfire section is so important...what is the nature of a true leader? "A little touch of Harry...."

One quote that runs in my head frequently is "Every
subject's duty is the king's; but every subject's
soul is his own."

Ahhhh I miss teaching Shakespeare So.Damned.Much.