Friday, February 23, 2018

I'm going to send out a little note of praise and thanks to my Thursday-evening essay-workshop class. These people lift my spirits every week: they are so eager to talk about the readings, so cogent and kind and acute about each other's drafts. And the drafts they've submitted are so full of interest, so worth studying and learning from. This class is a complete joy, a gift from the teaching gods.

As a result, I stand here at my desk on this bright and chilly Friday morning in late February, lifted up in spirit. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. That verse from the Book of John can sometimes feel like lived experience.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

From my first class in Scriptural Greek, now most is sadly forgotten. En arche en ho logos Kai ho logos on pros ton Theon kai Theos en ho logos. I was teaching 1st grade then and I shared my struggles learning a new alphabet and grammar with them. A bright light in my year put her hand up and said, “But that’s what it is like for us learning to read and write in English.” Astute observation. Good reminder. Several of them wrrote stories that started with In the beginning was.........