Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Bizarrely, here in February Maine, the temperature is forecast to rise to more than 60 degrees by afternoon. For the moment, we're beginning the day with island weather--a dense fog creeping in from the sea, dowsing daylight and trailing damp snail trails along the windowpanes. It's quite beautiful, though I'm glad not to be driving in it.

Today: yoga and a visit to the library and essay reading and grocery shopping. I'm revisiting a couple of books I studied during my Chestnut Ridge project--Susan Strasser's Never Done: A History of American Housework and Joan Severa's Dressed for the Photographer: Ordinary Americans and Fashion, 1840-1900--which I think will offer me some new angles into my apron essay. And I'll be opening windows and pretending that spring is here to stay.

I did read some Merwin yesterday, and I've started my friend Baron Wormser's latest novel, Tom o' Vietnam. Someday, I hope, the writing will once again spill from my fingers. I've been in a long spell of zonelessness.

No comments: