Sunday, June 18, 2017

Yesterday Tom and I took my parents on a 3-hour mailboat ride among the Casco Bay islands. And then in the evening they all came to my reading in Westbrook. I think it went well; I hope it went well. One never knows what will happen with a voice.

And now I enter the downward rush to the Frost Place. This will be a week of frantic editing, and frantic paperwork, and frantic buying of toothpaste and face cream, and frantic making sure I'm leaving Tom with enough catfood/toilet paper/bread/clean underwear, which is stupid because the man is perfectly capable of shopping and doing his laundry. But stupid is one of my character traits.

At the Frost Place I know for sure we will have 21 participants, 3 guest faculty members, 2 staff faculty members, 2 office staff members, 1 teaching fellow, and 1 groundhog. The remaining visitors are unknown, though I suspect that several will be ticks and one will be the lawnmower guy who every year drowns out a presentation and has to be chased off the premises. One year we had a phone call from a man who claimed to be the uncle of the next Yeats. But the next Yeats never showed up, though we kept an eye out for him.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

And please to remember the bears that you never see, but others always do and the comforting spirit of Robert Frost himself.

I can hardly wait to get there.

PS. If STUPID is one of your traits, then idiot is one of mine!!!

Carlene said...

Not stupid; you are a nurturer. It's what we do.
And pack for damp and coolish temps...long range forecast is low 70s and a chance of rain most of the days. Sigh. So...bug spray, too.

Can't wait to see you. Our little lupine fosterlings are doing so well...they have tiny, brave, fan-shaped leaves. They'll be snugged up in the ground later this summer. =)