Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I had breakfast with a friend yesterday. I went grocery shopping. I did a load of laundry and drafted a small poem. I read Mansfield Park. I took a long walk to the library and borrowed Svetlana Alexievich's Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets and Margaret Drabble's The Sea Lady. I made a pot of minestrone.

Today I will return to editing. I will have lunch with a friend. I will try to solve a grammatical problem in the poem I drafted yesterday.  I will look at my library books. I will write letters to my representatives. I will make tofu and bok choy for dinner. I will worry about the Department of Justice.

Meanwhile, day is peering over the edge of the sea again. And the lights glitter on the far shore.


2 comments:

David (n of 49) said...

Alexeivich--how timely. She's a good reminder of what a mendacious regime that abuses and cares nothing about the welfare of its citizens looks like. You'll also please excuse I hope a Canadian who's old enough to recall for saying that the pronouncements out of Washington these days are so much the same as those the old Soviet leaders used to make, including this one: the truth is what we say it is, in the face of all objective evidence to the contrary. A travesty of government. May God help America.

Dawn Potter said...

I'm glad to hear you've read her work. I've been looking forward to reading it for a while, and while the timing now is accidental, it does seem appropriate.