Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Geoffrey Hill readers: There are new comments on the "Genesis" discussion, so please do join the conversation. In a few days I'll call for a volunteer to choose the next Hill poem and compose a few starter questions about it. Remember, one goal here is to not make Dawn do all the talking. The other is to push yourself to take risks with difficult, unfamiliar material. Do not be afraid to ask a simple question, as Tom did about "Genesis." Those are the kinds of curiosities that can lure us down surprising paths.

* * *

On Saturday, October 1, I'll be leading an essay workshop at the Rockland Public Library. The focus will be on writing about one's passions, and I'm considering using Cotton Mather as an example. It may be that I'll reconsider the wisdom of that idea. But you'll never know if you don't show up.

* * *

Two bluejays are having a violent argument outside my window . . . one of those midair wings-flapping, beaks-ripping, "I want to scratch out your heart" kind of fights. The air vibrates with screechiness.

* * *

This coffee is delicious. And reading last night's Red Sox score has also been pleasant.

No comments: