Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Tu Fu and Langston Hughes


As a way to continue yesterday's conversation about group-reading possibilities, I've posted the openings of three Tu Fu poems and three Langston Hughes poems. Tu Fu (712-770) was a relatively unknown poet and minor civil servant during the Tang Dynasty but is now celebrated, along with Li Po, as the greatest of the Chinese poets. Langston Hughes (1902-1967) was a prolific writer in many genres, an innovator in jazz poetry, a leader of the artistic, literary, and social movement called the Harlem Renaissance, and a civil rights activist.

For each poet, I have chosen three openings from three different poems, which I hope will give you a taste of the poet's stylistic and subject-matter variety while hinting at some continuities in his work. Please feel free to share your reactions in the comments.



the opening of "By the Winding River II," by Tu Fu 

Everywhere petals are flying
And Spring is fading. Ten thousand
Atoms of sorrow whirl away
In the wind.


the opening of "To Pi Ssu Yao," by Tu Fu

We have talent. People call us
The leading poets of our day.
Too bad, our homes are humble,
Our recognition trivial.


the opening of "Night in the House by the River," by Tu Fu

It is late in the year;
Yin and Yang struggle
In the brief sunlight.

[all three from One Hundred Poems from the Chinese, translated by Kenneth Rexroth (1971)]




the opening of "Black Maria," by Langston Hughes

Must be the Black Maria
That I see,
The Black Maria that I see--
But I hope it
Ain't comin' for me.


the opening of "Spirituals," by Langston Hughes

Rocks and the firm roots of trees.
The rising shafts of mountains.
Something strong to put my hands on.


the opening of "Preference," by Langston Hughes

I likes a woman
six or eight and ten years older'n myself.
I don't fool with these young girls.

[all three from Selected Poems of Langston Hughes (1958)]

11 comments:

Richard said...

Why not do both?

Ruth said...

We have done that before and it was a great idea.

Dawn Potter said...

It could be done, but I think it would require considerable curation. In my opinion Hughes's work, while important, interesting, and worthy of discussion, does not stand up to Tu Fu's in terms of quality. Moreover, while I hate to bring this matter up, I don't get paid for writing blog posts. Facilitating discussion is time-consuming. I want to do what I can to keep a conversation active, but I also need to be aware of my own boundaries.

Carlene said...

I have zero knowledge of Tu Fu, and a working knowledge of Hughes. So...I'm in for either, but I'd be interested in knowing more of something I know nothing about!

Richard said...

I'm a sporadic visitor to considerably curated, on-line events such as this, so will weigh in with David Dear's Rexroth recommendation and suggest the very slow pace of a walking meditation: time IS.

Ruth said...

I have no knowledge of Tu Fu and would love to know more.

Dawn Potter said...

Okay, then. Anyone interested in participating should acquire Kenneth Rexroth's "One Hundred Poems from the Chinese" (New Directions, 1971) and we'll get started in a week or so.

David (n of 49) said...

"Slow pace of a walking meditation" is great wording and sounds perfect. Ordering Rexroth "posthaste".

DiTa said...

I've ordered the Rexroth's book. Amazon Prime. Should arrive by Saturday.
I'm in!

Dawn Potter said...

Great, Dita! I'll keep you all posted about when I'm ready to begin.

Ruth said...

I've ordered my copy and am ready to go as soon as it arrives.