Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Yesterday, as I was copying out some passages from the Aeneid, I came across this line, spoken by Aeneas's father, Anchises, in the underworld:
Each of us must suffer his own demanding ghost.
This is the line that still clings today, the line I cannot helping breathing in like smoke. But now, as I riffle the pages, passing through clash and battle, I find more lines that reach out and catch at me, quietly, like the casual claws of a cat as I walk past his chair. (And why am I writing in similes?)

These are the words of Dido, queen of Carthage and Aeneas' spurned lover:
Why labor to rig your fleet when the winter's raw,
to risk the deep when the Northwind's closing in?
This poem has set out to haunt me . . . or hunt me down.

1 comment:

David said...

One thing you can be sure of: those lines are now haunting more than just you. Thanks for posting them.