* The boys and I are heading west to Vermont for a few days . . . the last hurrah of summer before J goes back to college and P dives into preseason soccer practice. I'll talk to you along the way.
* I've been rereading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I still love this book, and I still laugh at the characters and the conversations, and I still can't understand any of the logic jokes.
* Is there another reading project you'd like to do together on this blog? (Don't say Ulysses.)
* How did your garlic do this year? Mine is the best ever, but I still can't seem to grow onions that get any larger than teaspoons. Leeks, yes; scallions, yes; onions, no. Why?
* Next year I'm growing a lot more kohlrabi because I invented a delicious salad and now I don't have enough materials to make it. However, I might also try this with raw turnips.
Peel as many little purple kohlrabi (kohlrabis?) as you can find. Then peel a carrot or two. Using a mandoline or a grater, shred them all into a bowl. Add 1 large clove of garlic, pressed; a lot of chopped fresh cilantro; a soupcon of rice vinegar; a dash of olive oil; coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. If your family is like my family, they will complain because I didn't make enough.