Tuesday, July 16, 2013

And today: more pies and another scorcher. It seems that pie weather is rather like hay-making weather and tomato-canning weather. But at least I am making this set at home. Tomorrow I'm back up to the farmstand for another strawberry-rhubarb binge, but today's are blueberry and they're going to my friend's birchbark-canoe-making students. Paul helps make lunch for the canoe guys, and I help make pies for them. It's a 2-week class, so we'll have to see how much pie they'll ultimately require.

It is interesting to be on the food-production side of things. Of course I've always been a cook, but this summer is the first time I've ever cooked for groups outside my family circle. People look at a person respectfully when she's standing in a bakery rolling out dough. I suppose that's because they love home-baked goods, but for some reason that reaction surprised me: I guess I assumed that customers would be dismissive and rude. And oddly the farmstand is actually quite an easy place to feel like a poet, though not to invent poems, because people are always interrupting me to get into the knife drawer and help them find a measuring cup and ask if I can bake 6 pies instead of 4 and so on and so on.

No comments: