Thursday, February 21, 2013

As the Holly Groweth Green

King Henry VIII

As the holly groweth green,
          And never changeth hue,
So I am, ever hath been
          Unto my lady true;

As the holly groweth green
          With ivy all alone,
Where floweres can not be seen
          And green wood leaves be gone.

Now unto my lady
          Promise to her I make,
From all other only
          To her I me betake.

Adieu, mine own lady,
          Adieu, my special,
Who hath my heart truly,
          Be sure, and ever shall!

Why is stanza 3 so badly constructed? Clearly, as the other three stanzas prove, Henry could handle basic song meter.   I hate to imagine what might have been distracting him at that moment.

2 comments:

Carlene said...

I'm sort of getting the feeling that maybe that aberrant stanza was added afterwards...perforce? lol The other three fit metrically (as you pointed out), and each starts with the letter A...but then, you get the clunker. I am imagining a jealous wife insisting on that stanza as a sort of public apology...

Dawn Potter said...

I'd put this in the running for "creepiest poem ever." Ick.