Tuesday, October 9, 2012

In every spare moment, I've been hammering out proof corrections for my forthcoming anthology, A Poet's Sourcebook, and it's disconcerting to discover how many errors it contains, almost all of them my own. Of course, I know that being an author and being an editor are two different jobs, but still I wish I'd submitted a more perfect piece of work to the publisher. And yet not only did I labor over the accuracy but I also know, from long copyediting experience, what elements must be cross-checked against what other elements . . . and I thought I'd done that. Nonetheless, titles in the table of contents aren't matching the titles in the text, translators' names don't appear in both places, "German" is spelled as "Gerrman" . . . how does that even happen? The whole process has been quite damaging to my editorial ego.

But soon I will have to give up and relinquish these battered proofs to the typesetter, which also means that soon, I hope, I will also get the go-head to start doing some pre-press publicity for it, such as revealing the table of contents to you. I'm actually quite pleased with this book, imperfect as it is, and I'm excited to hear what you think of it.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

When I taught 1st grade, we had a "demon" The Dreaded Page Licker" who removed material that you KNEW you had written correctly or added material, perhaps from that which he had erased elsewhere. Maybe that demon is/was visiting your house.