Monday, October 29, 2012

High wind warnings have already been posted for Harmony, though we are 500 miles away from New York City; so this may be my last post for a while. We'll see how the power holds out, but I'm not sanguine. Whenever God sneezes, we lose power. Because we don't own a generator, I've been packing the freezers with extra blocks of ice, and later this afternoon I'll start filling containers with water. With a wood stove and a gas stove we can cook and stay warm indefinitely; water and refrigeration are my major concern. And fortunately we aren't in a flood zone, although we do live in a forest. However, Tropical Storm Irene took out two trees close to the house last year, and Tom cut down another one next to the barn yesterday, which makes me feel somewhat better. Still we do have some enormous white pines and a looming old maple tree that could do a great deal of damage.

I send out all my best thoughts and wishes for the rest of you, riding out this scary storm in your fragile little boats.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Do stay safe, Dawn.

We are experiencing very heavy rain and increasingly high winds here in Arlington, Va., just outside D.C. Expected to worsen as day goes, with forecasters saying winds will easily top 80 mph. There's a huge tree in back of us; hoping and praying it doesn't come down. I just read that Atlantic City is under water. What a monster storm!

Dawn Potter said...

I'm worrying about you, Maureen. Fingers crossed for you and everyone else in the path. XX

Ruth said...

stay safe everyone reading