Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First day of school. All of a sudden I have returned to the empty hours of autumn. For the moment I'll sit here at the kitchen table; I'll drink the rest of the coffee in the pot; I'll listen to the washing machine trudge through its cycle. And then I will rise up and work.

People are still reading that post. More than a hundred of them visited this blog yesterday. I am nonplussed, but of course pleased, but of course slightly anxious. At the same time I don't understand how any writer could not comprehend the relationship between the work of the body and the work of the mind. What about those thirty-mile walks that Dickens routinely undertook? What about Plath's furious horseback riding?

But I should stop fretting about this and move on to another subject, such as thanking my handful of regular readers for sticking with me for all these years. Believe it or not, we've managed to pass our fourth anniversary together. You know best what this odd conversation has meant to you, why you keep coming back, whether regularly or intermittently. For me it has become a synthesis of duty, loneliness, chatter, need. It is writing practice, yes, but also a thread thrown into the sea. Who is out there? What will tug back? And will I even be able to feel your pull?

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Well, Happy anniversary!! I enjoy reading this blog, partly because I know you and feel connected to you and also because your writing always opens new worlds for me. It is definitely part of my daily routine. Please keep writing the profound and the mundane. {-:

Maureen said...

Also here to wish you a happy blog anniversary.

Lucy Barber said...

Happy blog-day. I so appreciate your writing; it so often takes me out of a day of work and puts me somewhere else for a while, whether in the garden in Harmony, or in a stanza from the 19th century. As to the women's writers organization, who knows -- sometimes people need to be surrounded by people who all nod their heads. Better to bring some twang to it all, I think.