Saturday, January 21, 2012

Stuck inside of Middlebury, Connecticut, with those Harmony blues again. However, things could be worse. After drinking plenty of coffee, I am sitting in a soft chair in a deserted library, where I have nothing to do but read Sir Walter Scott and watch the snow fall. Maybe I'll be able to leave by lunchtime.

A hundred people came to my reading. Can you believe it? The last time I read at a school, about 5 people showed up. But at Westover School they treat poets like queens.

Later I went to a faculty party and listened to gossip about Auden. And after that, just to reinsert myself into the real world, I got into bed and watched an episode of The A-Team on Netflix. (Note: "Real world" doesn't equal "reality." Otherwise, I'd have to explain why nobody is ever injured in any of those exploding cars. Rather, "real world" indicates "silly stuff I do with boys when we're sitting on the couch in the middle of nowhere on a snowy Friday night and the power hasn't cut out yet and we're drinking tea and fighting with the dog for possession of the couch blanket and we decide to invite Mr. T in for a glass of milk.")

2 comments:

Maureen said...

What a great turnout for your reading!

Have a safe trip home.

Ruth said...

snowing here in NH so be careful if you venture out glad your reading went so well..Westover is a lovely place to be and to be stuck!!! enjoy your "vakay"