Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Things that make me happy this morning


1. Running up and down the cellar stairs with a basket of laundry instead of lying on the couch wondering if I'll always feel pointless.


2. Receiving an unexpected present in the mail: the novel Split-Levels, written by my friend Thomas Rayfiel and inscribed "To the country mouse from the city mouse."


3. Having two 20-year-old girls in bright lipstick whirl into my kitchen and enfold me in hugs.


4. Watching the Drama King lose his fourth straight basketball game and still smile at his teammates.


5. While selling slices of pizza at the same basketball game, figuring out how to make change for a 20-dollar bill without humiliating myself.


6. Almost finishing my anthology's table of contents.


7. Enjoying the slim sensation of post-flu belt tightening.


8. Eating cranberry relish for dinner; really, eating anything for dinner.


9. Getting hired for two paying gigs in two days, neither of which I applied for.


10. Starting Nicholas Nickelby again, for the 100th time.


11. Reading the Facebook status of a friend who teaches 5th grade: "Just when she wonders if anything has been accomplished . . . she overhears 2 boys discussing where the line breaks go in a poem one of them is writing. 'Well, I hear you stop here, so maybe that's where you should put the line break.'"


12. Looking at Baby under my Christmas twig, which I never thought would make me happy . . . and doesn't really make me happy but does make me undergo a sort of formal acknowledgment of mourning and redemption.


13. Getting an email from my friend Baron that says, "A poet has the right to her rage." Because she does.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Oh, so much better a list than that guy Dave's.

Dawn Potter said...

Who is that guy Dave? And where can I read his list?