Thursday, December 22, 2011

Eggnog

Every Christmas I make eggnog, and every year it has turned out slightly less delightful than I'd hoped it would. This once-a-season schedule slows my tinkering abilities, so improvement is perforce incremental. But finally, this year, I have succeeded in making what, to me, tastes like the best eggnog on earth. And I say this as a person recovering from stomach flu, so you know I must mean it.

1 quart whole milk
1/2 c. natural cane sugar (turbinado works well)
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground mace or nutmeg
3 fresh eggs
1 T. flavoring (see below)

In the top of a double boiler, whisk together milk, sugar, and spices over simmering water. Stirring frequently, heat this mixture to the boiling point.

In a separate heat-proof bowl, beat the eggs. Continuing to beat constantly, slowly drizzle in a cup of hot milk. Then stir this egg-milk mixture into the remaining hot milk. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 or 4 minutes or until the mixture becomes smooth, shiny, and slightly thickened.

Remove from heat and gently stir in your flavoring of choice. Vanilla works, as do rum and brandy. I used bourbon. You can increase the amount of liquor now or at serving time, but remember that it will thin out the final product. And as far as I'm concerned, a velvety texture trumps the extra booze.

Let the mixture cool on the counter for about 15 minutes. Then pour it through a strainer into a pitcher. Chill until ready to serve.

P.S. Feel free to substitute some other kind of sugar, but don't try to use lowfat milk. You'll be sorry.

No comments: