Thursday, August 4, 2011

Yes, intrepid and discerning readers, yesterday's mystery book was The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. Since speaking to you, I have not advanced much further into it, having been busy picking an extraordinary number of raspberries and dealing with various editorial snafus. (What kind of word is snafu anyway? I have an intuition that it is somehow etymologically related to moot. Whatever their connection, both words sound as if they have entered English by way of Smurf.)

I was not exactly honest yesterday when I said I thought I might never write another essay again. In fact, I'm presently writing another essay, albeit a very short one. Really, it's more of an introduction than an essay, which is why I forgot to mention it. A few months ago, the editor of LocusPoint contacted me about curating a Maine feature in his journal. As you'll see when you hit the link, LocusPoint focuses on poetry and place . . . up to this point, cities as place. (Our Maine feature will change all that.) Anyway, I'm composing the opening essay, and I'm looking forward to sharing the poetry of several Maine poets whose work I have been following for a number of years now. Most are not well known outside of Maine, so I'm excited to think that they'll get a bit of national exposure.

3 comments:

Carlene Gadapee said...

snafu is a military acronym...situation normal, all f up. Moot is a favorite word of mine. Well, so is snafu. LOL

Plethora of raspberries? yummm. I have a plethora of thistle invading my flower beds. I'd trade.

Julia Munroe Martin said...

That's so wonderful that Maine poets are getting national exposure! As for moot and snafu, they do sound like Smurf language, haha!

Maureen said...

I should have guessed. I never got far in The Scarlet Pimpernel.

LocusPoint looks interesting. Am going to poke around the site.

I came across the word whiffle yesterday and discovered there's a book on Amazon called "The Wonder of Whiffling".