Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tomorrow I head west again, this time for a brief overnight in Vermont before heading to Franconia and the Frost Place Advanced Seminar. When I last arrived at the seminar, close to a decade ago, I was a participant with two small children and a passel of nerves. This time, I will be a visiting faculty member with two teenage boys and a passel of nerves. So strange.

But this time I'll have John Milton to keep me company, and he is more of a comfort than one might think. Just ask Wordsworth.

London, 1802

William Wordsworth

Milton! thou should'st be living at this hour:
England hath need of thee: she is a fen
Of stagnant waters: altar, sword, and pen,
Fireside, the heroic wealth of hall and bower,
Have forfeited their ancient English dower
Of inward happiness. We are selfish men:
Oh! raise us up, return to us again;
And give us manners, virtue, freedom, power.
Thy soul was like a Star, and dwelt apart:
Thou hadst a voice whose sound was like the sea:
Pure as the naked heavens, majestic, free,
So didst thou travel on life's common way,
In cheerful godliness; and yet thy heart
The lowliest duties on herself did lay.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

And thou shalt prevail. Have a glorious time.

Carlene Gadapee said...

It always comforts me to see in Wordsworth's poem that the world was, in his opinion anyhow, a complete train wreck...and yet, humanity does survive. I love that one...

See you on Friday! I am really looking forward to your discourse on Milton!

Maureen said...

Have a safe trip and a great time at Frost Place.