Saturday, April 30, 2011

1. I'm reading tomorrow at DelRossi's on Route 137N in Dublin, New Hampshire, which, according to the map, is in the middle of the southern part of the state, not far from the Massachusetts border. I'm not exactly sure what time I'll start reading, but I need to be there by 3 p.m., so presumably I'll be on shortly thereafter. The afternoon includes an open mic and a second reader, Gary Lenhart, whom I've never met but whom the Internet tells me teaches at Darmouth. Here's a link to one of his poems.

2. Poets and teachers: the Frost Place still has scholarships available for all three of its summer conferences. Applications are due by May 10, so, as H. E. Rey remarked in regards to Curious George and fire emergencies, hurry, hurry, hurry.

3. It is a generally acknowledged truth that, when the princesses on a float are smoking and texting while waiting for the parade to start, they are not real princesses. Also, when you can see their tattoos through their dresses, you should start getting suspicious.

4. One week from today, I will not be waking up early and driving to the high school gym to take the SAT. I'm so happy about this.

5. One week from tomorrow, I will be waking up early and driving to Boston, where for the first time in 25 years or so, I will be in the stands at a Red Sox game. So what if they lose? So what if one of our seats is "obstructed"? All I'm worried about is sunburn, windy rain, getting hit by a baseball, and the prospect of having to run the bases because it's Mother's Day. Here's hoping the Fenway execs have given up on that idea.

No comments: