Wednesday, March 30, 2011

  • From the Library of Congress's online image catalog:

  • GENERAL VIEW OF DURALOY COMPANY
  • OFFICE BUILDING LOOKING NORTHEAST
  • AT THE WEST FACADE

  • From 1885 until 1936, National Foundry & Pipe
  • Works Ltd. and its successor, United States Cast
  • Iron and Foundry Company manufactured cast
  • iron water and gas pipes and fittings.
  • The Duraloy Company took over the Scottdale
  • plant in 1937 after its West Virginia factory
  • burned. By 1945, it was one of the largest
  • producers of equipment for the manufacture
  • of magnesium, and a supplier for the
  • Manhattan Project.

  • (Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs
  • Division, Washington, D.C. [HAER PA,
  • 65-SCOTT,1-]).

By the time I was born, my grandfather was no longer mining but had taken a job pouring steel at Duraloy in Scottdale, where he lived. I remember that he used to come home with burn holes in his work clothes. One day he also came home with presents for my sister and me: two giant steel pennies that he'd poured for us. I have no idea where the penny mold came from--I suppose someone must have made it--but he told us that the men all had fun pouring pennies on their lunch hour. My big penny has been sitting on my desk for 40 years now.

You'll notice that I haven't said anything yet about the Manhattan Project. That would be because I can't find anything corroborating this involvement anywhere else online. It does give me the horrors, of course. My granddad himself could not have been involved: in the 1940s he was still mining. In fact, though he'd been drafted into the army and even had his suitcase packed, the government changed its mind and sent him back into the pit.

Still, to think that there was a vibrating link between Scottdale and Hiroshima is appalling. On the other hand, why should this surpise me? The story of coal and steel is all about evil.



3 comments:

Ruth said...

This brought the lyrics of the John Prine song to mind: Paradise,Muhlenberg County
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

Maureen said...

You might try contacting directly the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History. It's affiliated with the Smithsonian.

It's rather Orwellian to look at companies' past histories/associations with Oak Ridge and the Manhattan Project.

Dawn Potter said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Maureen. I'll look.