Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Sewanee Review is firmly a print journal. In fact, the editor-in-chief still uses a typewriter for all of his correspondence, and it is pleasant to receive one of his letters. Nonetheless, the journal does participate in Project Muse, a subscription downloading service for scholars and libraries. According to the journal, "hundreds of articles from the SR are used for research purposes around the country and the world. Apart from a strong presence among the Ivy League—University of Pennsylvania, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia—the SR is often used at NYU, UC–Berkeley, Penn State, Indiana University, Texas A&M, U. Chicago, the University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, Washington and Lee, UCLA, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Vanderbilt. What is more the SR can be found among readers academic and general at Cambridge, the University of Toronto, University of Sydney, Durham University, Freie Universität Berlin, and Amsterdam University."

Given this readership, then, you may find it humorous to learn that the SR has announced that my essay "In Defense of Dullness, or Why Fanny Price Is My Favorite Austen Heroine" is among the journal's most frequently downloaded pieces. Do they mean to tell me that "readers academic and general" are taking notes on this maundering? Good Lord. Anyone who would cite my essay as Austen scholarship must be bonkers.

As Sylvia P. remarks,

The word of a snail on the plate of a leaf?
It is not mine. Do not accept it.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Laughing...

Thomas said...

Congratulations! I'll need to find a library with SR so I can read your essay because I'll always loved Mansfield Park.

Tom

Dawn Potter said...

If you can't find one, Tom, let me know and I'll email you a copy.

Allison said...

I think your essay must strike a chord with many, many readers (myself included) who love Jane Austen and desperately want to find a way to love Mansfield Park in spite of finding Fannie (at first glance, at least) less charming than other Austen heroines.

charlottegordon said...

you are so great. Of course people are downloading this essay. I love your use of "pleasant" by the way --The SR is from another time. But so maybe are we.

Thomas said...

I'd love a copy of the essay, Dawn, if you don't mind emailing it (it's certainly more likely that I'll have the chance to read it!).
tjuvan@westoverschool.org
Many thanks!
Tom