Monday, April 12, 2010

1. Peas in, radishes in, mesclun in, dill in, cilantro in. Rocks hauled, poodle admonished, oversized dandelions donated to chickens.

2. I've started rereading The Great Gatsby. I've read it often, yet the little paperback's binding continues to survive, even though a dog named Dave once chewed off all the corners and my son James, as a toddler, spent a few strangely obsessed months plucking it off the bookshelf and throwing it across the room.

3. A pair of barred owls seems to be nesting close to our house, and all day and all night they inquire, "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you? Awww." Dogs don't like this, but I do.

4. Yesterday evening, instead of reading Shakespeare, Tom and I sat on the couch and watched an episode of Welcome Back, Kotter. We are paying the price today in loss of brain cells. It's worse than Jagermeister. Never again.

Dinner tonight: risotto with white wine and leftover moules à la mariniรจre, plus some other stuff that I haven't decided on yet.

4 comments:

charlotte gordon said...

That is just what owls sound like. What is a barrel owl, I wonder. I take great satisfaction in your planting. It is how I felt when the Ingalls had all of their crops tidily planted.

Anonymous said...

Kotter v Jagermeister

Jager hands down. :)

Dawn Potter said...

Charlotte, if you start talking about the Ingalls and crops, you'll make me worry about grasshopper plagues. Wiredwriter, Jager is no doubt just as bad for me as Kotter, but way more enjoyable. And I'm no devotee of cough syrup-flavored booze.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, no doubt. Beer is always best.