Thursday, December 31, 2009

A friend sent me a link to this article by William Chace in the American Scholar, which laments what he sees as the gradual disintegration of English as a field of study. Certainly he's a conservative, yet I think he has a point. Also, interestingly (though maybe only to me), he's a Haverford graduate: 30 years before my time, it's true; but still, what he says about the vigor of that college's English department rings true to me . . . though decay was seeping in by the mid-1980s.

If nothing else, his article reminds me to be grateful that, as an undergraduate, I read great books and talked about them. Maybe I escaped from formal education just in time.

Update: I also posted this link on the Facebook page of the Frost Place Conference on Poetry & Teaching. It's garnered a fair number of comments, some of them quite detailed, most from English and language arts teachers. If you have Facebook access, you might want to take a look.

2 comments:

A.H. said...

Hello, Dawn, my Miltonic friend loved your Milton book. That's two new fans. Happy new year to you.

Dawn Potter said...

I'm so pleased! Thanks for telling me and for sharing my book with your friend, and happy new year to you as well.