Thursday, August 27, 2009

I've recently received notice of a few places that publish student work; so if you're a teacher or the parent of a young writer, you may want to check them out. First is a new blog started by the Telling Room, a writing center based in Portland, Maine.  And second is a list of publications compiled by the editors of NewPages, a web-based writing resource that you may find useful in other ways as well.

I offer these links with some trepidation because I am leery of anything that reinforces a writer's conviction that publication is the point of writing. Already, too many adults believe this. I frequently believe it myself. But it's a poisonous misconception, especially for ambitious apprentice-level writers. The act of writing has to be its own best reward.

Nonetheless, there is undoubtedly great pleasure--and relief--in finding a reader, and that happens most obviously with publication. So all I can say is, Use these resources as you see fit. Just don't forget the ambiguities.

1 comment:

dhill said...

Thank you for the link to NewPages, where our byline is indeed: Good Reading Starts Here

When young writers contact me about publishing, one of my first questions is: What are you reading? And we go from there.

Reading is indeed essential!