Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I am suspicious of the genre (or should I say market?) known as the young-adult novel. Of course, as a niche, it is exceedingly popular and has made many an author wealthy, but it is a new niche, canonically speaking, and I am prone to be conservative. "In the old days, sonny, young adults read Sir Walter Scott, and they liked it. They didn't need a special genre." Moreover, so much young-adult literature is badly written. The Harry Potter books have some of the worst dialogue I've ever read; and all of Rowlings's cute fantasy references just aren't going to cover up the fact that, as attempts at art, they're clumsy and bland.

Yet I am the parent of an 11-year-old boy who loves young-adult fantasy--his current favorites being Percy Jackson and Eragon. And he's not alone: the 4th and 5th graders at the Harmony Elementary School are fearsome readers, trading novels like Pokemon cards and competing to see who can belong to the most number of reading groups. I don't have to tell you that, in a town such as Harmony, where only a tiny percentage of adults have college experience let alone a college degree, this is an educational coup.

So I've been toying with submitting my long narrative poem "The Story of Phaeton" to a young-adult publisher: partly as way to undercut my own prejudices about the market, partly because the popularity of the Percy Jackson series proves, once again, that the lure of the Greek myths is eternal, partly because my poem is better written than a lot of the crap that gets published. 

Of course, on the down side, it is a poem, even if it is an easy-to-comprehend story about a boy and his dad. That will probably do it in immediately.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get tired of YA books that are so didactic you can see through them. Why can't children read for a good story? My kids all read "A Day No Pigs Would Die" and hated it; at home they read "Watership Down" and loved it. And I am suspicious, as well, of the tie-ins between YA books and movies, Happy Meals and other marketing ploys. Should we all feel like buying something after a good read?

(Though after reading Peter Mayle's "A Year in Provence", I did go out and buy an assortment of olives, cheeses,wine and crusty rolls. The power of suggestion.)

Sheila said...

And by anonymous, of course, I remain...

Dawn Potter said...

The didacticism is tiresome; I agree. So is the pretense at diversity. But I do like olives, cheese, wine, and crusty bread.

Ruth said...

My class of 10 and 11 year olds love the historically incorrect "Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" and "The Highwayman"; therefore, I should think they'd like your "The Story of Phaeton".
I like your word fearsome readers because that is what I see too and it so perfectly describes them. 'Tis no mean feat!

Dawn Potter said...

Kids do love "Paul Revere's Ride," and I like it too.

Kate Meo said...

any tightly boundaried genre seems to have issues with quality (romance novels, science fiction, historical fiction, mysteries ...) but there's books written to fit a YA mold and edited and packaged for that, and then there's stuff classified as YA, as in age-appropriate, but yeah, the crap to quality ratio is annoying

the best thing is that if that tween and pre-tween age can get into that fearsome reader mode, then they can read widely and indiscriminately and that's healthy enough for a good while (metaphorically, (probably) no organically-raised child ever died from the occasional Happy Meal and no nutritionally-deprived child ever died from a tomato not in ketchup form) ... the ability to appreciate and enjoy better stuff comes later

The NCTE's English Journal arrived the other day, with an article explaining how to hold a Literacy Celebration focused on HP, and another article about tropes in Rowling's work (and I don't mean going deep on folkloric tropes, I mean pointing out basic and obscure rhetorical terms like meiosis) and I kind of gagged.

That said, I'm happy to suspend my critical lens and immerse myself in HP's world, but it's like mac n' cheese - it's yummy and satisfying and filling (4,700 pages worth) and takes me back to my childhood.

and thanks for the rose pound cake recipe - I'm making it for Friday night! and thanks for the other stuff for the anthology!

Dawn Potter said...

Oh good, I'm glad you got the stuff I sent you. My email has been behaving oddly lately, and I wasn't sure. As for kids reading trash, I agree that that's part of learning to be a committed reader. You read indiscriminately; almost anything will do. I at that age was quite attached to TV Guide.