Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yesterday's Beloit Poetry Journal meeting took a rather unpleasant (though friendly and civil) turn over a set of poems that arose for discussion. The editorial board pattern is this: any poems that make it through several initial readings are then read aloud at a quarterly board meeting. The final choice does not exactly rely on consensus, though discussion often leads to some sort of agreement. Still, often enough poems get into the journal via an "I don't hate it so if you really like it" capitulation.

I am not the best editor in the world because I am impatient with what I conceive to be faddish or academic flourish, and I dislike cool remoteness. I'm also suspicious, as I've mentioned here before, of prose poems and what seems to be careless handling of line and stanza breaks--all of which contribute to a certain close-minded irritation with the so-called "new." 

The set of poems under discussion certainly did not have any of these technical flaws: they were tightly crafted and both structurally and dramatically coherent. My problem with them arose from another place: while other editors on the board saw them as ironic and even comic, I saw them as cynical. I won't go into the particulars, for the poems will appear in a future issue. I could have evoked the "over my dead body" rule that allows one editor to completely override the others. But I didn't because I might have been mistaken about the poems; I might have misunderstood their intent. Nonetheless, I came home dispirited--not because poems I don't like are going to appear in a journal I edit, but because I feel, in this task, that I can't rely on the reaction to reading that I rely on in my own private engagement with books. As a journal editor, I'm supposed to stand apart from the poem in some way, be dispassionate, yet I'm not good at dispassion. This means that I can't easily see the good in things that don't instantly move me, which is no doubt a flaw. Yet having depended for a lifetime on a close, personal, idiosyncratic response to what I read, I feel, in a way, as if I'm betraying a central creative impulse of my life.

Ah well. Back to the copyediting and the laundry and the driving-to-piano-lessons, to dry my tears.

2 comments:

Herself said...

I think I understand what you are getting at with the "I'm-a-poet-because-I've-enjambed-what-should-have-been-an-essay, -but-I-turned-it-into-a-poem" storyline.

Since I started going to readings- and listening to other poets, and reading more poetry, and my own students' poems- it's interesting to note that the best poetry (IMHO) is often that which is simple, yet heartfelt, which makes a point or observation complete, yet does so un-self-consciously, or with a minimum of fuss & malice.

Sometimes, I'll read journals or lit mags and think: they were trying awfully hard, and I just don't think I get it. Kind of like taking your child to a playground and hearing "Hey Ma! Watch me! Hey Ma! Look!" To which there is only one relpy, really: "Yes, dear, I see you."

Now dry those tears...why, it's cool enough to bake, here.

Dawn Potter said...

Good idea about the baking. As regards the poetry, I realize that anyone who has devoted 2 years to Paradise Lost clearly is not immune to the delights of aesthetic manipulation. But Milton had a moral mission, whether or not one buys into it. My problem with the submitted poems was that they seemed, to me, to work wholly on a cynical level. Perhaps, as was argued, they were persona poems. But if so, they were purposefully working to keep the persona-poet line ambiguous. Yes, that's an artist's prerogative. And yes, it can be beautiful. And no, I don't have to like it.